Friday, January 17, 2014

Wreck This Journal



Even though I do journal occasionally on my own, I bought a copy of  a Wreck This Journal because my creativity has been waning lately. I don't know if it is exhaustion or burn-out or just an anxiety flare-up, but I feel like I keep repeating the same things over and over. I needed to shake things up a bit and step out of my comfort zone. Keri Smith has some fantastic ideas to help you push your limits.


When my journal arrived, about a week and half ago, I flipped through it. I was slightly confused because most of the activities didn't involve markers or well outlined writing prompts. Actually, I was disappointed. I'm not a destructive person and things like rubbing your food on a page, or chewing on one, or even poking holes in another just seemed ridiculous. What could possibly come from doing such things to a book? Even worse, a book I paid for with my own money. So, I put it aside.

I decided to start working on it yesterday for two reasons: I am completely overwhelmed right now with family, animals, school, writing, my thesis and several other personal issues. Second, because I was beginning to doubt my creative and writing abilities. I was feeling particularly down the past few days and I saw it on my bookshelf and thought, "Why not try it? If it helps great, if not, you haven't lost anything." Let me tell you, it helps. I decided to start with the first 10 pages. The prompts are simple and non-restrictive, which allows you to do what you feel. It's actually an amazing feeling to stand on a book, stab it with a pen and fling a wet teabag into it. And the best part is, no one can judge you for it. It's uniquely yours and there will never be another book just like it, no matter what you do to it.

I am showing you my completed pages so far. But, I think you should complete your own pages before really looking at mine. I don't want you to hinder your own creativity, come back when you are done. I will tell you though, I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed these pages. After completing them, I do feel better about my creative abilities. I now know I still have some. I also released some tension by "wrecking" this book. I plan on doing 10 pages a week for now and see if its therapeutic qualities continue. For now, I would recommend this book for anyone that is stressed, anxious, depressed, uninspired or just plain bored. Let me know what you think of my pages and tell me which pages are your personal favorites.

*I didn't photograph the first 3 pages because they were: number the pages, crack the spine, and leave the page blank. (I didn't think those would be very interesting photos.)


 
 
 
I hope some of you will give this a chance because the pictures do not show the great feelings you get while completing these pages. Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to see more of my pages. I will see ya'll next time. Stay classy.
 
 

-Jami Lynn