Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Allegiant by Vernoica Roth- Review

Divergent Series
Source
Author: Veronica Roth
Series: Divergent Trilogy
Publisher: Katherine Tegan Books
Publication Date: October 22, 2013
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Pages: 526 (first edition)
Okay, so I have had Allegiant by Veronica Roth sitting on my shelf since the first week it came out. That was over two years ago. I have started and stopped this book 4 times and I finally forced myself to finish it a few weeks ago because I am exhausted just looking at it. To say the least, it was not what I expected to close out the Divergent Series.

Let me first be clear that I loved Divergent and Insurgent. I found Tris and Four to be very complementary characters that weren't struggling through a clich├ęd love triangle. I thought the world was mysterious but also believable even though we didn't know the background behind it. All in all they were fun  and emotional to read. I gave them both 4 out 5 stars on Goodreads.

Then came Allegiant...

***If you don't want spoilers please stop here!***

The ending was actually the only redeeming quality I found in this book. I thought Roth took a great risk with Tris and it closed out the series nicely for me. If Tris and Four had gone on to live 'happily ever after' I probably would have dumped this book in the trash. Then I would have taken in out, because I can't throw away a book! I'm not a monster! But, I would have been very angry with this series.

I know many people were very unhappy with the ending of this book, but let me explain why I was so unhappy with the beginning and middle. First and foremost, I hated the POV switching. Four and Tris sounded so much alike that I would find myself going back to the chapter heading to find out whose perspective I was reading. It wasn't a necessary change and was awfully reminiscent of Breaking Dawn. At least when Stephanie Meyer did it we could tell a difference between Bella and Jacob's voices. I think much of Four's POV could have been eliminated if Roth would have continued his and Tris' relationship as it had been inside the wall.

What I mean by that is, in the first two books Four and Tris tackled all the problems together as a team. Even when Tris tried to hide what she was planning he always figured it out. But as soon as they found the outside world, it was like they no longer were the same couple. Even though there was plenty of hot and heavy kissy scenes, they didn't communicate any more or even try to work together to solve the problems in the compound. They both went about their business like the other had no stake in their choices. There was no real reason for such a change in my opinion. It seemed more like Roth was preparing the readers for the ending instead of sticking to the relationship patterns of the first two books.

I also did not like the fact that the majority of the book was spent on the compound rather than inside the walls of the city. It felt like an entirely different novel and almost felt like Roth tricked us. I mean none of the first two books were real in a sense because they were being controlled and monitored by the government compound. Sort of like the Great and Powerful Oz pulling all the strings and no one had any real choices. It was all a plan. A novel should not feel planned. It should feel genuine and organic. Plus the genetic stuff was just plain boring to read about and wasn't really necessary. I mean I already accepted that there were different degrees of divergents so why do I need a double explanation on their genetic background.

Now, if I was the editor, I probably would have suggested Roth have Tris and Four find out what's on the outside of the wall. Then have them find out about the genetics in her mom's diary and have them go back to the city to stop the Allegiants and the Factionless from killing each other. I would have liked to see them find out about the compound's plan to erase their memories and have the Factionless and Allegiants come together to fight the government in a climactic battle. I think keeping the story more inside the walls would have left readers much more satisfied by the end of this book, even if Roth still decided to end it the way she did.

In my mind, the book could have been much more interesting in theory and I was sorely let down. However, the ending does close out the series nicely. So, if you enjoyed the first two books I would recommend reading Allegiant for some closure. How did you feel about this series? Was it what you expected or needed? Would you recommend it to a friend and why? Let me know in the comments!

If you purchase the book through this link, I will receive a small commission through Amazon.

MY RATING:
'Til Next Time,

Jami