Sunday, January 31, 2016

The Heir by Kiera Cass Review

Author: Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: May 5, 2015
Genre: YA Romance, Dystopian
Pages: 373
Buy it on Amazon
Oh, The Heir by Kiera Cass. What can I say about The Heir? For starters, I almost put it down and DNF'd it, but my mother told me to finish because Eadlyn becomes less of an ass in the last half of the book. So, I did finish, and I am actually happy that I did. This series continues to surprise me in its addicting nature, despite the many things that bother me. I still want to read it and know the conclusion, even when I am completely annoyed by it! I'm pretty sure that has never happened to me before.

If you didn't know The Heir is the fourth book in The Selection Series (check out my review of the first three books here). It takes place twenty years after the end of The One, and follows Maxon and America's daughter, Eadlyn. Eadlyn is coerced into hosting her own selection to find a husband to help distract the country from the dangerous upheavals happening all over Illea. She is not happy about the selection and doesn't feel she needs to get married to be a successful ruler, but some of the selected manage to break into her cold heart anyway.

This book is just as addicting as the rest of the series. I was pretty sure who would be the winner as soon as he was introduced, but as the story went on I began to doubt my choice. With Maxon's selection, the reader always knew America was his choice because there wouldn't be a story any longer if it wasn't her. The tension came in from the love triangle and if America would choose Maxon and the life of a Queen. However, with Eadlyn, there is no certainty in her choice, which makes this book hard to put down. There are several possibilities and there are adorable scenes with these possibilities. But like The Selection no choice was confirmed at the end of this book. She still had like nineteen men left in the palace. The best part of this book was Eadlyn's growth. She started out cold, self-centered and kind of mean. I was not a fan, but as the story went on she started to open up and soften, which was nice to see that she realized she didn't need to be cruel to be taken seriously as a leader.

The problems I had with this book were pretty much the same as the first three books; the world building. It was kind of disappointing to see that not much had changed in the twenty years Maxon had been in power. Sure the caste system was gone, but people were still struggling with poverty and no democratic parliament or senate had been established in place of the absolute monarchy. I mean they could still lead but let the people vote in representatives that can push for needed changes. It's like duh, you have never been poor, so how can you understand their needs? It makes no sense that this wasn't figured out by America being a 5. I really hope this is addressed by the end of the series.

The other problems I had were about America and Maxon themselves. They just didn't seem like the same characters anymore. America wasn't righteous or as involved in the politics as the old America would have been. She just seemed to fuss over Eadlyn's clothes and the cuteness of the current selected. I had hoped for more guidance and spunkiness from her. And the biggest plot hole for me was the fact that they forced the selection to begin with. You would think after what they went through they wouldn't force that on anyone else. It seemed quite ridiculous actually. But if you bought into that, there were still the cheesy lines from them, and the constant hugging and I love you's. I mean sure everyone says it, but it was like every scene someone including Eadlyn's brother's were all mushy with each other. Not realistic at all in my opinion.

Despite the problems I had, and some of the cheesiness that had me rolling my eyes, I still couldn't put the book down after like page 50. Cass does an excellent job of drawing the reader into the story, and that has to mean something right? So of course I will be continuing on to the next book, The Crown, and hopefully we will find out her choice! I give this book 3.5 stars.
 Get your copy here!

Ta Ta!